Turning passion into profession.

Monday, July 2, 2012

Music Monday

Music is one of the most important things in my life. You could bring up any moment, trip, hardship, or achievement and I could tell you the pieces of music that I associate with it. Music has helped me get through a lot of tough times in my life and also helped me celebrate all the happy ones.

Music is also amazing for reading and writing books. It can really help enhance the emotional highs and lows of what you are either reading or trying to write yourself. One of the times I always think of is when I was reading Kathy Reichs' Spider Bones. I was really into Bon Iver at the time and was listening to their cd non-stop on my iPod during my read and magically the songs just fit so well with what was going on. It really mad me feel like I was there with her, experiencing all of these things that her MC was. Now, every time I listen to Bon Iver, I'm taken back on a journey to Hawaii (the setting of the book) and feeling all those great things I felt while reading the book for the first time.

I also absolutely have to listen to music while writing. Whether it be during planning, plot brainstorming, character profiles, writing a chapter, or editing and revising, I need music to be there with me. It lets me concentrate on what I'm doing, keeps me in check with my emotions, and helps me take a journey to the land I'm creating, just like it did with Spider Bones. I'm gonna leave talking about my relationship with music and writing on a later Music Monday post, because I want the first one to be all about fun.

Summer. It's hot. It's shiny. It's fun. And you need a damn good soundtrack to help you enjoy the summer the way it should be. Every summer I always have about four or five songs that live through the season with me. They come to the beach, on long road trips with friends, and then follow us back to the bar at night. They are catchy little ditties that have you winding down your windows and singing at the top of your lungs. This summer I have five songs that have taken residency in my awesome summer playlist. And I'd like to share them with you! If you click on the song title, it will bring you to a special website where the music fairy will let you take the song and put it on your computer to listen to. (AKA: Don't want the file sharing police after a lowly, little aspiring author like me.)

Here is my Songs of Summer 2012!

Stranger - My Name is Kay
Sister Christian/Just Like Paradise/Nothin' But a Good Time - Rock of Ages OST
Some Nights - fun.
Out on the Town - fun.
Lies - Marina and the Diamonds

If you take a listen, be sure to let me know what you think! And do you have to have a soundtrack to go along with the seasons of your life?

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, music helps tons in my writing :) I use it for drafting mainly, not editing though. But music is AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete

Pages - Menu

© The Write Thrill, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena